Saturday 26 January 2013

Taking better photographs

Photographs

Oh my have these given me a headeache!! Taking decent photos is such a must to showcase your work, I know this, but how on earth are you meant to achieve this??

My original attempts involved laying each piece in an IKEA wooden bowl, such an inexpensive item, but I loved the effect.  Here is one of my first pictures ~
  

I still like it to be honest as it feels more natural, more in keeping with the recycling theme. That said however, the image doesn't show the bracelet to it's full potential, the flowers are lying  flat on the surface where as they wouldn't do this on your wrist.  I was also advised to photograph my pieces on white.

My next attempt was to use a white surface.  I wandered around the house with my white scrapbook page, bracelet and camera in search of some decent light.  The best room for light in undoubtedly the conservatory , although with the snow fall the roof was so dark that it didn't work too well.  Here is my next attempt (actually there were several before this one but silly me deleted them, so I can't show you how awful they were!)

This just looks so bland and too dark.

So my next attempt involved lots of research, I found some fab blogs, these were  great help not just by the articles but also demonstrating well taken images of their products.



I decided I needed to get a white vase, this would help give a little dimension, I also felt I needed a much larger piece of paper so that it will cover the surface area better and provide a vertical back drop aswell in one continuous piece.

I set up a small area in the conservatory, fixing a large length of paper to the windows so it draped down onto the table and covered the workspace.  I then put my new little vase in the centre and experimented with positioning.  Here is the results!


I like this, but the light was still a little dark.  I don't own any exciting photoediting software so wasn't sure what to do, I could alter the brightness and contrast but that was about the most I could do.

Until ......

I was browsing and saw a post by All She Crafts, she had recently discovered an online photo editing software called Pic Monkey.  What a program, I just inserted my pic, played around with some of the settings and produced this!!! 

It is cropped as well as the colours brightened and saturation changed. 
Here are the two images side by side so you can see the difference!



What do you think?? I am really pleased with the results.  Next task is to find a vase big enough to showcase my earrings better!

17 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your post - very clear and helpful. Happy 100th Handmade Monday, Jo x
    PS you might want to remove the first comment

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you've cracked it with all your work, it really is difficult isn't it to get the correct light conditions and background for everything without spending half your time just trying to take a decent picture - but they are so important on line

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning - really clever photography. Thanks for sharing the process - it's so difficult in winter with so little natural light.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The vase makes such a big difference, and the editing makes all the difference. Photos are so hard to get right but you've done really well here. This post shows what a difference a good photo could make to selling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I do hate those types of comments Jo, I often get emails saying such comments have been posted but when I check they aren't there, this has been a first to me! All deleted now!
    Thank you all for your lovely comments! I want to build my own website next and really needed decent photos am I am so pleased with this one!

    I so agree CathkinJane, photos really are so important and Adaliza you are so right, the weather makes such a difference! Roll on the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I will watch this space Wendy to see if it makes a difference to sales. The problem I face is that unless people realise the bracelet is made out of plastic drink bottles it can get a bit lost among so many other jewellers works. Hopefully now it stands out as a lovely piece in it's own right and the eco side is a quirky, fun bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh and as a side note, I bought the vase from the Range and it was only £1 something and about 20cm tall. The reason I am saying this is not because I get a commission, or even cz I want everyone to copy me as that would be totally silly, but... I dropped it on a concrete floor this morning and it survived apart from a small chip on the rim! Now that is a useful vase!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is SO hard to get product photos right. I love the first one, but the second shows more detail in the piece itself, but it's not as interesting, but with the vase, it does look really good - especially once you hit upon the right editing software! Well done :-) Simmi x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really loved the way you have used the vase. It doesn't distract at all from the bracelet and shows it off really well. I am going to have to check out the editing software you mention - thanks for the tip. Ps In the summer you may wish to use some tracing paper or a net to diffuse the light if it is strong in your conservatory. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Simmi xxx
    I love the idea about tracing paper!! I have been really impressed with pic monkey, I am sure you will have great fun with it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Photo editing software is something of a godsend! I do like the wooden bowl effect too- sometimes I think pure white is a little stark and clinical, but you've done a good job with the vase.

    ReplyDelete
  13. well done you on your perseverance, it is tricky to get picures right and the lighting! I'm not sure i've quite mastered it either but i keep trying new things! I think photo editing is a big help! I really like your wooden bowl shot too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the pic monkey tip, which I'm going to look into. The white photos definitely show off the details in your bracelet best.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yep, the picture on the right is much better. Will have to have a look at Pic Monkey, thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done you!! The difference from the start to the end of your photographic journey is quite remarkable and the final result shows off your gorgeous bracelet beautifully :) x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very interesting about your pictures - this is something I really need to work on too. I have been experimenting with paint.net which is a free package similar to photoshop apparently. The use of the vase for the bracelets is a lovely touch. x

    ReplyDelete